Motor Vehicle Accidents

If you have been injured in a car or vehicle accident, you have a right to claim compensation for those injuries. Compensation is paid by the Insurance Commission of Western Australia. Motor vehicle accident claims in Western Australia can be made by anyone injured in a crash in WA, even if the accident was partially your fault.



If you were the driver, passenger, pedestrian or cyclist injured in the accident, you are entitled to claim compensation for those injuries. Contact an expert Motor Accident Vehicle Insurance Claim Lawyer immediately, to process you claim.

How can motor vehicle accident lawyers help me?

Don’t let insurance companies dictate the compensation payout. Having a motor vehicle accident lawyer by your side will ensure your rights are fully protected. Perth City Legal are specialised in motor vehicle and car accident claims. Our main goal is to achieve a better outcome by assisting you throughout the car accident claim process.

Free Initial Consultation

Our expert Perth vehicle accident lawyers provide you with a free initial consultation.

Assess Your Case

We fully assess your case to see if your are qualified for motor vehicle accident compensation.

Statutory Obligations

Assistance to fullful your own statutory obligations, such as meeting deadlines, etc...

Collecting Evidence

We help you collect all evidence that supports your motor vehicle accident claim.

Case Conference

We arrange an intitial case conference with the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) to resolve your case. 

Negotiate Compensation

We negotiate a fair compensation payment and try our best to maximise your your entitlements.

Am I Eligible to Claim Compensation for My Injuries?

Motor vehicle accidents are one of the most common types of claims made in WA. A motor vehicle accident can include any type of vehicle including cars, trucks, motorbikes. bicycles and mopeds/scooters.

You can make a claim if:

  • you are not at fault or only partly at fault for the vehicle crash;
  • you were injured in the crash (includes drivers, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists); or
  • a close relative was fatally injured in the crash and you were financially dependent on them (dependency claim).

The accident needs to have occurred on roads in Western Australia and the negligent party was driving a Western Australian registered car (or an unknown car).

Along with physical injuries, if psychological damage, stress or anxiety occurs as a result of the crash, you may also have a right to claim compensation.

If you are unsure if you can make a claim, contact Perth City Legal, who are expert motor vehicle insurance claim lawyers, and can help assess whether you have a claim.

What Should I do If I am injured in a motor vehicle accident?

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, you should:

  • If you are the driver/owner of a vehicle involved in a crash, you must report it online.
  • Seek medical attention straight away and have your GP report your injuries.
  • Contact a Motor Vehicle Insurance Lawyer to assess your claim.

How do I make a Claim?

If you have been injured in a crash, report the crash and injury to the Insurance Commission of Western Australia via the Online Crash Reporting Facility.

What am I entitled to?

If you are eligible under the Road Traffic Act to make a claim, you are entitled to claim compensation for:

  • medical treatment,
  • rehabilitation,
  • compensation for the inability to work
  • and other expenses to help get your life back on track after a crash.

Are there any restrictions when making a claim?

The amount you can claim may be reduced if you:

  • were not wearing a seatbelt;
  • were not wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike, scooter or bicycle;
  • were riding unrestrained in an open-top vehicle;
  • were partly responsible for the crash; or
  • your driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Get a Free Initial Consultation with an Expert Motor Vehicle Insurance Lawyer

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, its important you seek legal advice straight away, to protect your claim. Perth City Legal are Perth Compensation claims experts, with over 20 years’ experience in Compensation Claims in Western Australia. We can help ensure you receive the maximum compensation for your claim.

Contact Perth City Legal today for a free initial consultation with one of our expert Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance Lawyers today.

More Car Accident FAQ

If I’m injured in a car accident, what are my rights?

The most common type of motor vehicle accident injury compensation claims involve car accidents. Car accident injuries can vary from mild whiplash to more severe injuries like paralysis, loss of limbs and even death.

If you or a family member are injured in a car accident and have lodged a claim, you or the injured family member may be eligible to seek compensation for:

  • Medical treatment and rehabilitation
  • Inability to work or loss of income
  • Other expenses that can help get you back on track after the accident

If you drive as part of your job and get involved in a motor vehicle accident while working, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation. If you are unsure of the type of compensation to claim, reach out to us. Our team at Perth City Legal will advise you on the best course of action to take as we also provide legal representation for workers’ compensation claims.

What is the difference between a fatal injury and a catastrophic injury?

A fatal car crash injury ends in the death of the injured person, so it is the financial dependents of the fatally injured who may be entitled to compensation.

Catastrophic injuries are injuries so severe that they lead to some form of disability that, in certain cases, can result in total and permanent disability. Examples of catastrophic injuries are brain trauma, spinal cord injuries, blindness, multiple amputations and severe burns.

Starting on 1 July 2016, people who are catastrophically injured in motor vehicle accidents have been able to claim personal injury compensation whether they are at fault or not. All Australian states and territories are mandated to ensure that catastrophically injured people involved in motor vehicle accidents receive proper treatment, care and support.

How do I find a lawyer for a car accident?

If you are searching for the right legal representation for a motor vehicle accident, we suggest asking the following questions:

  • How long have you been taking motor vehicle accident cases?
  • Have you handled cases similar to mine?
  • Would I be communicating with you directly or will I have to go through an assistant or paralegal instead?
  • How would you help me prepare for the claim process?

Aside from enquiring about the above, check if they have a website and if there are any online reviews that talk about the quality of their service and track record.

What is the car accident injury claim process?

Whether you are the driver or owner of a vehicle involved in a car crash, you must file an online crash report. You can also ask for a Notice of Intention to Make a Claim Form directly from the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA). As much as possible, try to submit this to ICWA as soon as reasonable after the accident.

While each case is different, it takes about a year before a motor vehicle accident claim should be settled and your compensation paid out. This time frame is dependent on the severity of the injuries sustained and the time it takes for a claimant to recover sufficiently to allow settlement of his or her claim.

A car accident compensation claim is usually settled through negotiations between ICWA and your legal representative. If there is a dispute over liability or quantum then some matters will progress to a trial, which happens rarely as our objective is to ensure your motor vehicle claim is resolved before reaching trial. This not only makes the process speedier but also helps to minimise legal fees.

Of course, Perth City Legal will be there all the way to court, if need be, to provide legal representation. We will ensure your claim is justified in court so you’ll receive fair and just compensation to aid in your recovery from the car accident.

How much is the compensation if I get in a car accident?

If you are entitled to compensation, the amount you are entitled to will be based on a number of factors and can be a very complex calculation. The following list represents the most common categories of damages claimants can receive:

  1. Pain and suffering/loss of enjoyment of life;
  2. Past and future loss of income/ loss of earning capacity;
  3. Past and future medical expenses;
  4. Loss of superannuation;
  5. Care and gratuitous services (assistance provided by friends and family);
  6. Aids and appliances.

After lodging your claim and liability being accepted, ICWA would usually decide to make a payment to cover your medical expenses and other losses. Once you are fully recovered or have stabilised from your injuries, Perth City Legal can advise you on a reasonable lump sum compensation outcome and represent you in dealings with ICWA to achieve that objective.

Call us to discuss your claim.

We understand your legal needs and we provide accurate and practical legal advice that is effective.
Call to request an obligation-free initial consultation.